This set was produced during the Second World War by various radio set manufactures to a standard government specification. Although some flexibility was allowed in the design it allowed manufacturers to use up existing stocks of components that would not be needed for military use. The set was designed to receive stations in the medium wave band only. The minimum of components were used during its manufacture. These radios were commonly known as Utility Sets. The sets being unbranded were stamped with a U code number to enable a service engineer to correctly identify the manufacturer and hopefully obtain any replacement parts needed during wartime shortages.
These receivers were often found plugged into a bayonet light fitting using a two way adapter as in the 1940’s the electricity board had two domestic tariffs one for lighting and a more expensive one for power sockets.